Healthcare workers fear post-Holiday virus surge

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb’s weekly news conference, November 18, was led by Dr. Kristina Box, Indiana’s State Health Commissioner, as the Governor and his wife quarantine at home per COVID-19 guidelines. Several members of his security detail tested positive for COVID the day before. While neither the Governor nor his wife have symptoms, they have participated in contact tracing and will get tested later in the week. Dr. Box recommends getting tested 48 hours from the first sign of positive symptoms in a close contact. Cases are rising dramatically in Indiana and across the Midwest.

Wayne County surpasses 1,500 COVID positive tests; 36 deaths recorded

Wayne County’s positive COVID cases have now surpassed 1,700, as of Sunday, Nov. 1, and the county counts 36 deaths related to the virus. The county’s number of lab-confirmed positives have been increasing by the dozens in daily data released from Indiana State Department of Health. Three of the recent local deaths related to COVID-19 all have been in the community, with none from long-term care facilities, according to Christine Stinson, executive director of Wayne County Health Department. Local health officials said they had just been notified Wednesday about the death of a 65-year-old female who died Oct.

Northeastern middle, high school students attending virtually for 2 weeks

Because of multiple COVID-19 positive students, specifically from the same classrooms, Northeastern Middle School and High School will operate virtually from Oct. 29 through Nov. 11, returning on Nov. 12. Northeastern families who are directly impacted by the ill students have been contacted by Wayne County Health Department.

Mask guidelines to continue another month; state health leader tests positive

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb’s weekly news conference looked different today than it has since the beginning of the pandemic. The numbers are rising, and the governor strongly warned Hoosiers not to let their guard down. Even practicing what she preaches, Indiana’s State Health Commissioner, Dr. Kristina Box, and her family have not avoided the coronavirus. After two daycare workers at her 23-month-old grandson’s small daycare center tested positive, she, her daughter, and grandson have all tested positive, as well. The ripple effect resulted in the governor’s staff and everyone Dr. Box was exposed to getting tested today to determine how far the virus spread inside the Indiana statehouse.

Wayne County ‘very concerned’ about case surge topping 1,000

Wayne County has had its 17th and 18th deaths related to COVID-19 within a few days of each other, and officials are very concerned about an increase in the county’s cases, just surpassing 1,000. “Our cases are surging and we are very concerned,” said Wayne County Health Department Executive Director Christine Stinson. “We have seen a dramatic increase in cases in people over 70. It is vital we all do our part for our community, wear a mask when in public, do not attend large events.” The county’s 17th death was a female in her 80s living in a long-term care facility, according to Stinson.

Cambridge City COVID test site opening Monday

Starting at 8 a.m. Monday, COVID-19 testing will be offered at 138 W. Main St. in Cambridge City. The OptumServe testing site that has been operating in the former Elder-Beerman building in downtown Richmond is moving to the Cambridge City location. Wayne County Health Department will continue to offer COVID-19 testing at the downtown Richmond site, 601 E. Main St. The Cambridge City site will be open 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday.

County has 2 more COVID-related deaths, records 99 more cases in a week

Wayne County broke a local record for the number of COVID-19 cases last week, and health officials learned Tuesday morning about two local deaths over the Labor Day weekend that were related to the virus. The first death was a female in her 80s who died Sunday, Sept. 6, at Reid Health. The second death was on Monday, Sept. 7, for a woman in her 90s who had been a resident at a long-term care facility.

Lincoln cancels football game after employee tests positive for COVID-19

Western Wayne Schools has canceled Friday night’s Lincoln High School varsity football game against Union County after a staff member has tested positive for COVID-19. Superintendent George Philhower shared a statement he sent to the district’s parents with Western Wayne News. He said WWS administration received information Friday that a staff member who was recently present at Lincoln Middle/High School tested positive for COVID-19. RECENT STORY:Likelihood of false negative on COVID test can as high as 40 percent, county health officer says

Upon hearing about the ill employee, school officials promptly contacted the Wayne County Health Department to seek guidance, Philhower said. WWS administrators have developed plans for the safe reopening of schools, which include guidelines for what to do if the district has a positive case.