Wayne County will go to a Level 2 Travel Watch at 6:00 AM on Thursday February 3, 2022. This will be in effect until further notice.
Level II –Essential Travel Permitted Transportation (or Snow) Emergency
(Indiana Term: Travel Watch)
This classification may be declared when the Commissioners determine there is a significant threat to the operation of motor vehicles on county roads. County’s roads are hazardous. Specified roadways or large sections of the county roads network are closed or impassable. Travel may be significantly delayed and motorists exposed to existing conditions may risk injury.
As stated in the name, this emergency classification allows motorists to travel for essential purposes. The Ordinance defines essential travel as follows:
-You may travel to and from work and school.
– You may travel to a place of safe shelter.
-You may travel to obtain essential medical care.
– You may travel to obtain essential medications.
-You may travel to obtain essential supplies of food or fuel.
Non-essential travel is prohibited. Examples of travel for non-essential purposes would be entertainment, recreation, or to obtain non-essential items.
Level II – Essential Travel Permitted Transportation (or Snow) Emergency (Travel Watch)
When a Level II Essential Travel Permitted Transportation (or Snow) Emergency is declared, follow these preparedness recommendations:
- Listen to local radio stations for travel, weather information and emergency bulletins. Do not call 911 for travel information.
- Call ahead before you travel. Make sure you are expected to report for work. Make sure any business you intend to visit is open.
- Discuss your rights and responsibilities concerning reporting for work with your employer before severe weather strikes.
- Make sure you have appropriate emergency supplies in your vehicle.
- Travel by main highways whenever possible, even if this is not the most direct route. Plan your route to avoid reported hazardous areas. Allow extra travel time. Slow down!
- If you must travel, tell someone where you are going, what route you will take and the approximate time you plan to arrive.
- Conditions are dangerous. Don’t take unnecessary chances.
Preble on Level 1 snow emergency
On Thursday, Sheriff Mike Simpson issued a Level 1 Snow Emergency for Preble County, effective at 8:30 a.m.
A Level 1 Snow Emergency means that roadways are snow/ice covered and
hazardous. Motorists are urged to drive very cautiously.
Roadways are currently covered with sleet and ice. Conditions are expected to deteriorate throughout the day.